Birobidzhan, Russia is considered the administrative center of the Jewish Autonomous Region. (Sochi 2014)
Monday marks day 43 of the Sochi Olympic torch relay. Here are 14 things to know about the relay's schedule this week.
1) On Monday, the torch relay arrives in the city of Birobidzhan. The city is considered the administrative center of the Jewish Autonomous Region.
2) Sochi 2014 says 37 torchbearers will run with the flame in Birobidzhan.
3) Birobidzhan's name is derived from its location between two rivers: Bira and Bidzhan.
4) The flame will tour the city of Belogorsk on Tuesday. Belogorsk had its own delegate at the 2008 Beijing Olympics; Svetlana Klyuka placed fourth in the 800-meter run.
5) On Tuesday, the the torch relay will also travel through Blagoveshchensk. The city borders China, and lies at the intersection of the Amur and Zeya rivers.
6) In the 1940's, a dinosaur graveyard was discovered under Blagoveshchensk. According to Sochi 2014, the remains of the ancient reptiles are still there now.
7) More than 70 torchbearers will carry the flame through Blagoveshchensk.
Russian archer Timur Tuchinov is one of over 100 torchbearers who will carry the flame through Chita on Thursday. (Sochi 2014)
8) The relay heads west to Chita on Thursday. The line-up of more than 100 torchbearers carrying the flame through Chita will include Russian archer Timur Tuchinov, who took home a gold medal at the 2012 London Paralympics.
9) On Friday, the flame will visit Ulan-Ude. Olympic archer Balzhinima Tsyrempilovhails from Ulan-Ude.
10) Ulan-Ude is home to the largest sculpture of Russian revolutionary figure Vladimir Lenin's head in the world.
The Olympic torch will reportedly dive into the waters of Lake Baikal on Saturday. (Sochi 2014)
11) The relay journeys south from Ulan-Ude to Listvyanka on Saturday. Listvyanka stretches approximately three miles along the shore of Lake Baikal; it is the most voluminous fresh-water lake in the world.
12) Sochi 2014 says that every spring, an "ice town" is built on Lake Baikal. The "ice town" includes a cafe made of ice, sculptures, and a rink.
13) R-Sport says the Olympic torch will take a dive into the waters of Lake Baikal on Saturday.
14) On Sunday, the flame will arrive in Irkutsk. Olympic boxer Albert Pakeev hails from this city.
Follow the Sochi 2014 Torch Relay
Written by Nicole Bennett.
For general comments or questions, click here.
20 Years at #1: Your best source of news about the Olympics is AroundTheRings.com, for subscribers only.